Suna Kıraç Library houses over 84.912 e-journals, 297 708 e-books, 120 databases for scholarly, educational or scientific research, teaching, private study. Beforehand, there was two options to accessing e-resources provided by SKL such databases, e-journals and e-books: Setting up Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection or using the proxy-based off-campus access links.
As of August 2022, Suna Kıraç Library is replacing previous systems i.e. Virtual Private Network (VPN) and Proxy with OpenAthens which is a single sign-on (SSO) authentication service provided by Suna Kıraç Library and IT Directorate.
OpenAthens is an identity and IP-based authentication system and electronic access management system that provides access to the library’s licensed e – resources via single sign-on (SSO) technology. With a single sign-on (SSO), Academics, staff and students can access all the library’s electronic resources with just one login.
In other words, OpenAthens allows you to use your KU Net login credentials, to access subscribed library resources both on and off-campus.
OpenAthens is a “gateway” service to facilitate access to publisher content. It does not include any content of its own.
Why are we switching to OpenAthens?
OpenAthens is a less confusing and time-saving option for users to access e-resources across service provider sites with just one login. Users are more flexible than before to search and access e- resources anytime, anywhere.
How can you access e-resources from SKL Webpage?
To access most of the Suna Kıraç Library’s electronic resources, you will need to sign in using OpenAthens. It is not mandatory that users go through the Library website to access e-resources, but this method is useful to know which resources the Library has in its collection.
When you click to database link from the A to Z page, you will be redirected to the below authentication page where you should use your KU Net login credentials. Please do not forget to continue through Koç University Suna Kıraç Library. This is the same login that you use to access other Koç University systems like Blackboard etc.
In some cases, you may need to find Koç University Libraries from the list of institutions as follow. After that, you will see the authentication page to use your KU Net credentials. The “Sign in with OpenAthens” option is only functional for guest.
How can you access e-resources directly from databases’ own websites?
OpenAthens also allows you to access SKL’s subscribed e-resources directly from databases websites, so long as the databases have this feature configured on their website.
Every content provider is different, but you can follow these steps to sign in:
- Locate the “Sign in”, “Login”, “Institutional Login” or click on to “Access the resource through your institution “option on the database website,
- Select the OpenAthens login option or search Koç University Libraries in the “Find your organization/Search for your institution” search box,
- Once you choose the Koç University Libraries, you will be prompted to choose how to sign in (select Koç University Suna Kıraç Library) and you will see the same login page to use your KU Net credentials.
What are the advantages of the OpenAthens?
- With Single-Sign-On, you can move from resource to resource without re-entering your credentials.
- It’s easier and friendlier for user. You can access e-resources across library databases and publisher websites.
- You can access to all linked electronic resources online, anytime, anywhere. The new service Open Athens is easier, and faster than our previous service.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about the OpenAthens.